Foster children often enter homes with challenging behaviors rooted in a history of trauma. Parents need to be able to decipher problem behavior in order to understand its source. This insight will enable parents to help their children heal and learn new, more acceptable ways to express themselves. This course will look at the function, or purpose, of behaviors, and will provide keys for unlocking the underlying meaning of challenging behaviors. Also covered are the ABCs of behavior and a look at parenting styles.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- list the 3 steps for understanding a child's behavior
- understand and be able to describe surface behaviors
- list 4 common reasons for behavior
- describe the ABCs of behavior
- list 7 behavior trackers
- describe 4 parenting styles and state their relationship to a child's behavior