Robert Nickel, MD, developmental pediatrician and professor of pediatrics, and Betsy Keefer Smalley, LSW, consultant and author, share their expertise in the fields of pediatrics and child welfare in this preservice course on child development. You will learn how child development can be altered by the effects of abuse and neglect and how an understanding of typical child development and developmental domains and stages can help foster parents know when children in their care may be exhibiting behaviors indicative of maltreatment.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- identify red flags of development that indicate problems in abused and neglected children
- describe the impact of abuse and neglect on child development
- understand risk and protective factors
- identify developmental domains and stages
- understand temperament and goodness of fit