Rick Delaney, Ph.D. shares his expertise on common eating disorders in foster and adoptive children: stealing and hoarding food, gorging, refusing to eat certain foods, and anorexia. Common causes for eating disorders and concrete steps a foster parent can take to promote positive food and eating habits are discussed. Caring for a child with an eating disorder and the importance of understanding when to seek medical or professional help are also covered.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- list four types of eating disorders in children
- identify issues related to eating disorders in foster and adoptive children
- describe how eating disorders may reflect a child's need for control
- list strategies to help children learn positive food and eating habits
- understand when it is critical to seek medical and/or professional help and why