Robert Nickel, MD, professor of pediatrics and expert in the field of autism, discusses the challenges faced by parents of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Based on 30 years of experience as a developmental and behavioral pediatrician Dr. Nickel helps parents understand the behavioral, social and medical issues surrounding autism. Also discussed are developmental delay and autism, Functional Behavioral Assessment, Asperger syndrome, alternative and complementary therapies and medication.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- discuss the characteristic behaviors of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- describe the general recommendations for treatment and the professions that can support children with autism and their families
- list the medical problems experienced by many children with autism
- describe the next steps to obtain further information about autism
- list behavioral strategies that parents can use with children with autism