Betsy Keefer Smalley, LSW, researcher and foster parent trainer with the Institute for Human Services in Ohio, leads this pre-service course for individuals who want to become foster parents. Child Abuse and Neglect focuses on understanding child physical abuse and neglect, and developing empathy for birth parents. Also covered are how to distinguish between abuse and common, accidental childhood injuries as well as reporting to authorities. Supplemental handouts round out the course. Caution: contains graphic images.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- understand the causes and risk factors of child maltreatment
- develop empathy for the birth parents
- distinguish between common, accidental childhood injuries and abuse
- identify child physical abuse and neglect
- know when and how to report abuse to authorities