Rick Delaney, Ph.D. explores reasons children run away from caregivers. Five types of runaway behavior are examined: searching for roots, running from rules, running from love and intimacy, wanting to be wanted, and running to street crime. Dr. Delaney discusses warning signs of running away and the development of a safety plan.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- identify five reasons why foster children might run away
- list five warning signs of running away
- describe four ways to help children stay connected to a birth parent
- identify three components of a safety plan
- describe five strategies for promoting non-threatening belonging
- state three ways to replace negative attention-seeking behaviors