Many children in care experience traumatic events, including abuse, neglect, and domestic violence. These traumatic events can affect a child long after he or she has been removed from the source of the trauma. This class explores how parents can care for a child while being sensitive to his or her past traumatic experiences. [Also available in Spanish]
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- describe "complex trauma"
- understand how a child’s past experiences impact his or her behavior
- use the Trauma-Sensitive Review Form
- understand how to encourage a child to develop strength and resilience
- describe the seven aftereffects of complex trauma
- understand how to adapt parenting style to a child's needs